Friday 24 September 2010

The Truth about Stonehenge

There are many theories about Stonehenge. Was it a Neolithic temple? Or perhaps an astrological calendar? Did druids gather here to watch the sunrise on midsummer’s day? (Actually they still do.)

I, however, know the truth.

And I told it to my kids as we strolled around the perimeter.


The rocks are in fact giant’s dominoes. They belonged to two young giants who were playing at lining them up on end and then sending them toppling. Sometimes they all toppled over but this time several remained standing in one of the swirls they had made.

But before they could pick them up they were called in to dinner – and it was their favourite – the ground bones of murderers in pesto sauce with spaghetti. So off they ran, forgetting to collect their dominoes.

Nobody knows why they never returned, but the stones have been here ever since.

11 comments:

  1. Clever! Did your kids buy that story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Made me laugh aloud. Maybe they didn't return to collect the dominoes because they got indigestion from their ground bones of murders meal and by the time they felt better they'd moved on to another game :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best theory for Stonehenge ever. I may "borrow" it next time someone asks me about it ;) I'll send them to this link.

    Have a great weekend,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know the truth at last! A play ground for giants! Lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, excellent. I'm convinced! Telling your kids wild stories (or "lies") like that is one of the great joys of parenthood, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice idea:) We should give one a push and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kate,
    What are you on, and can I have some? Potent stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. But it's true :-)

    I wonder what English Heritage would say if we pushed one over and toppled the rest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to try to think up my own hypothesis, but I think yours tops them all. I wonder why they didn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! My kids would have gone "squick" at that one! :) Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please share you thoughts, I'd love to hear from you....