Friday 8 February 2013

A Change of Perspective

We all know that different people can watch the same event and yet perceive things differently. That is what makes us such unreliable witnesses.

And that got me wondering about my characters. They each have their own view of events - they each see the world in their own way.

So I wondered what would happen if I took an old story of mine - one that hadn't quite worked out but was still gnawing away at me not to ignore it - and told the story from a different perspective?

How different will that story become?

One chapter in and I can already see it is a very different beast. This is going to be an intriguing experiment.

7 comments:

  1. George R.R. Martin tells his story "A Song of Ice and Fire" one chapter at a time with a revolving perspective. It's one of the strongest aspects of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read that one but I can see that retelling the same events from different perspectives could be very effective - each character filling in a bit more of the puzzle until all becomes clear.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate,

    I think it's an excellent idea to write something over again from a different perspective. It will also inspire your passion and energise your writing process.

    Have a peaceful weekend and stay warm.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right - it's giving new vigour to this little tale :-)

      Delete
  3. I've often wondered what would happen to my story if I told it from another character's perspective. It adds an interesting twist, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I bet it'll be really interesting seeing the story unfold from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great idea, I might have to try it too.

    ReplyDelete

Please share you thoughts, I'd love to hear from you....