Thursday 28 April 2011

Shiny New Idea

One word was all it took.

One word in a technical report I was reading at work. The sun was shining outside my office window and my thoughts kept drifting to my children who were spending the day out sailing in the bay. I had to keep dragging my attention back to what I was supposed to be reading.

And then….

One word.

A concept I hadn’t come across before. It leaped out from the page and struck me between the eyes, and I sat for long moments staring at it.

And as I stared a character began to form. She took shape and substance and started to whisper to me, her voice getting louder, more urgent. I think I’ll call her Lisa. And Lisa has a story to tell.

One word and a whole new world grew up around me.

One word.

One day I’ll tell you what that word was.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Kate. Love it when something like this happens.

    Similar experience for me yesterday - I'd dropped the car off to have a tyre changed, walked round to the shop and decided to go a different way back, which took me through some of our childhood stomping grounds. In particular, it took me past a huge rectangular building, which used to the old Milk Marketing Association, I think. It's totally out of place - smack bang in the middle of an area of little terraced houses and back streets.

    It was derelict for a long time, and now has been painted and has different colour doors down one side - yellow, red, blue. No real indication of who owns it or what goes on in there; it's just a strange old building, with most of its windows blacked out.

    As I walked past, I thought - what the hell is this place used for? And from that, came a spark...

    I'll let that thought stew for a while, but, you're right, the smallest thing can set off a very cool chain of events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. Ideas come from the strangest places. I guess the trick is always to be open to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stuff! Might the word make a good title do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Please share you thoughts, I'd love to hear from you....